The Golf Club at Spanish Oaks
Spanish Oaks Golf Club: You may be tempted to caddy just to be on the course.
Spanish Oaks Golf Club has earned honors, including Golf Inc. Magazine’s Development of the Year in 2004 and Golf Digest Magazine’s Top Five Best New Private Courses in America. To set out on a round is to truly understand why this resident-exclusive club is so well-decorated.
Highly Acclaimed Golf Course Designer – Bobby WeedThe course was designed by Bobby Weed, noted for his tremendous skill and desire to improve the game of golf with each course he designs. Weed has participated on a number of TPC Courses throughout the country, including redesign collaboration with Pete Dye on the celebrated TPC at Sawgrass in Ponte Verde, Florida. Weed’s classic, hand-crafted portfolio of work continues to add to the legacy of the game. Spanish Oaks is a shining star on his already impressive resume.
A New Standard in Environmental Sensitivity
Because the Spanish Oaks Golf Club is located within the protected confines of the Hill Country Preserves, it was with much consideration and deliberation that the course was developed. With such high environmental sensitivity, it was necessary that the area be cleared for building, without interfering with any of the natural habitats or ecosystems presently in place. So, when Spanish Oaks received the area's first "no-impact" designation by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service prior to construction, it spoke volumes. Golfing at Spanish Oaks not only means you may see some exciting natural wildlife, it also means you’ll be golfing in good conscience.
Texas Golf Like You’ve Never Known
It’s easy to see why Spanish Oaks is celebrated. There really isn’t anything like it in Central Texas, yet alone Austin. Unlike many courses in Central Texas, Spanish Oaks presents a magnificent array of local trees, such as varieties of oaks, elms and Ashe juniper trees (sometimes called cedars) but what the name doesn’t imply is the hilly nature of the terrain. Spanish Oaks lies between two hills in the Hill Country Preserves, an area originally called balcones by the early Spanish explorers, for the limestone hills that populate the land. Because of this remarkable topography, Spanish Oaks offers expansive and dramatic views as well as a welcome spirit for the native wildlife that the area aims to never lose.
Challenging, Yet Playable Golf. Always Scenic.
The presence of caddies at Spanish Oaks speaks to the game’s tradition. Rest assured, this is no ordinary community course. The 6,930-yard, par 72 layout provides enough challenge for seasoned golfers, yet maintains a playability to be appreciated by amateurs. Spanish Oaks borrows its very style from the land it rests upon. While you’re golfing, you’ll witness the native scruff that butts up to the very playing surface. You’ll enjoy walking over creeks on weathered steel bridges that continue the flow of the natural environment. There are on-site dams constructed from natural native stone. Wherever you look upon the Spanish Oaks golf course, you will feel the Hill Country, exemplified. Even those elements that were cleared away were reused to form barriers and handrails throughout the course. Nothing is lost. Nothing is wasted.
Golf Course Amenities Add to the Experience
Spanish Oaks strives to provide everything necessary for all of its members, whether weekend golfers, or aspiring professionals. It’s all there to be taken advantage of. Spending a day at the Golf Club will offer you every opportunity to improve on or just get close to that scratch score.
- Short Game Area – this short course area was built with the overall play of the course in mind. It features a variety of bunkers and approach shots to ready your play upon before driving onto the official course.
- Putting Green – if it is true that you “drive for show, and putt for dough,” this is where you’ll make your money. The practice putting greens are kept in similar condition to those on the actual 18-hole course, allowing you to get your stroke down before marking score.
- Driving Range – the spacious driving range allows the ideal environment to get the right feel for all of your clubs. With bunker targets and manicured greens present, you’ll get warmed up and stretched out while everyone else relaxes in the shaded chaise lounge chairs, watching the view.
- Golf Clinics – an opportunity to improve on one's game with an experienced team of pros led by the Southern Texas PGA Golf Professional, Brent Buckman. Legendary Coach, George Hannon provides experience teaching at the highest levels and nurturing junior golfers. Spanish Oaks offers clinics for everyone, including amateurs, established golfers, ladies and juniors. There is even a Junior Golf Camp, developed especially for the budding Tiger Woods in your family.
- Comfort Stations – homemade Texas beef jerky, ice cream sandwiches and an abundance of refreshment options fill these beautiful stone buildings. Two on-course Spanish Oaks comfort stations aim to satisfy your every break-time need as you make your way around the course.